What We Do
As Divine Word Missionaries, we are men of prayer and faith, embodying the mission expressed in our SVD Constitution's preamble: "He made the goodness and kindness of God visible in his life and service to all."
There are over 6,000 of us, both Brothers and priests, working as Divine Word Missionaries in over 70 countries around the world. Each of us is involved in a particular, unique ministry as we spread the Word of God. We serve where the Gospel has not yet been preached, or where the local church is not yet viable.
Our steady growth is a result of our response to the changing needs of the Church and the people we serve. Our emphasis on internationalism, education and professional skills is the foundation of our society, enabling us to minister throughout the world.
The Society of the Divine Word has a wide range of ministries that include:
- parish pastoral and sacramental ministries
- educational and religious training and teaching
- youth, adult and family programs and services
- lay leadership programs
- healthcare ministries
- seminary formation programs
- counseling and chaplaincy services
- economic, peace and justice ministries
Meet our missionaries for a description of what we do.